Special Election Period Available to Members Impacted by Hurricane Matthew in North Carolina
As you are aware, Hurricane Matthew caused disruption in North Carolina this fall. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) have extended a Special Election Period (SEP) to any Medicare beneficiary affected by the hurricane and flooding that followed. The SEP will run through December 31, 2016, for January 1, 2017 effectives.
The extension includes, but is not limited to, the following counties: Bladen, Columbus, Craven, Cumberland, Duplin, Greene, Harnett, Johnston, Lenoir, Moore, Pender, Pitt, Robeson, Sampson, Scotland and Wayne. Beneficiaries who do not live in these counties but receive assistance from someone living in the affected counties may also qualify for this SEP.
If a consumer contacts you as a result of this SEP, you may help them enroll in one of our plans and earn a commission. Please follow these steps:
- Obtain a Scope of Appointment (SOA) and fax the completed SOA to UnitedHealthcare at 866-994-9659. This should be done no less than 48 hours prior to the appointment.
- Conduct a complete, compliant presentation.
- NOTE: You will not be conducting an enrollment. Instead, you will only notify the consumer of plan information and the next steps.
- If the consumer is interested in enrolling, refer them to CMS at 1-800-Medicare. Instruct them to tell CMS that they want to enroll in UnitedHealthcare for the product plan they chose in the sales presentation. This call is between the consumer and CMS only. You MUST NOT be present during this call and will not provide any information to CMS.
- Submit your commission request within 30 days of the effective datethrough the Producer Help Desk (PHD) at [email protected]. You will need to provide the following information:
- Member HICN number, name and address
- Plan effective date
- Agent name and ID
- A copy of the SOA you faxed
- Once CMS has processed the enrollment, UnitedHealthcare Medicare Solutions will match the SOA and your request form to the enrollments received from CMS and will advise you if there is a match.
If you have any questions, please contact the Producer Help Desk at [email protected]. If you have compliance questions, please email [email protected] and be sure to include your full name, contact information and writing number. CLICK HERE for more information.